Literature classes should infuse more recent works

Kamaria Mutadabur

Contemporary literature is any literature written after World War II. In other words, it’s literature written by people who are, usually, are still alive. Popular works like “Life of Pi”, “The Hate U Give”, and “The Goldfinch” are all examples of contemporary literature.

Contemporary literature is easy to read, comprehend, relate to, and sometimes, even enjoy. I’m not saying I don’t enjoy reading the classics like “Crime and Punishment” or “Romeo and Juliet”, but I would love to see more modern literature incorporated into the curriculum as a compliment to the classics.

When students can actually understand the modern language being spoken (rather than something like Shakespeare’s) they can connect with the story and learn more because they are interested. Language has evolved over time, no one any longer has the writing or speaking style of Homer. So why force students to read one sentence a dozen times just to get the message? How are students supposed to understand the overall arc of the story when they are spending most of the time looking it up on SparkNotes or picking a sentence apart piece by piece?

Contemporary literature can relay all the same messages with experiences present day students can relate to. At some point classics were modern, and people could understand, but a good way for students today to engage and learn would be through lessons from the environment in which they live.

This isn’t a bash on classics because classics play an important role in the curriculum. They promote and build on universal themes and teach core values like kindness, honesty, empathy, etc. Classics also show a perspective of the people before us, connecting us as a society, and allowing us to identify the differences between the past and the present.

But, contemporary literature can relay all the same messages with experiences present day students can relate to. At some point classics were modern, and people could understand, but a good way for students today to engage and learn would be through lessons from the environment in which they live.

Not to mention, classics focus on social issues that simply aren’t as prevalent in the 2020s. Issues like segregation, poverty, the overwhelming divide between women and men (still prevalent, but not as much they used to be) are different now. I would love to read books about social issues like homophobia, mental health, and the incredible divide between citizens of America.

All issues that are hinted at, but never gone in depth about. The only place I can find books on those more modern topics is in the school library, but I have to do that on my own. It would be so much cooler to spend weeks evaluating the modern texts with other students and hearing opinions of what it could mean. Since they are not discussed in a classroom environment, these issues are often are interpreted as unimportant.

I love classics, but I would also love to discuss modern literature that might be more relatable to me and other current students. Time is always proceeding so we should with it; if we don’t, we never really progress. We are just stuck in the same cycle forever. In order to avoid this cycle, modern literature should be incorporated more in the curriculum of our literature classes.