Powder Puff players ready to battle each other and cancer

Players+line+up+for+a+play+in+the+2021+Powder+Puff+game.+

Players line up for a play in the 2021 Powder Puff game.

Aly Poliziani

Following the conclusion of the Shaler Area Titan’s regular football season, high school students have one more opportunity to showcase their school spirit at a game. However, this time they will be supporting girls of the junior and senior classes, while also raising awareness for a respected cause.

All funds from the game go towards the Susan G. Komen foundation, an organization that raises money to fund breast cancer research.

High school teachers, Mr. Bill Mitchell and Mr. Ben Yeckel, are coaching the two teams. Mr. Mitchell, who has been a sponsor for the past nine years, thoroughly enjoys being involved in this unique competition for two main reasons.

“The first thing is being part of a program that brings awareness to and raises money for cancer research. The second thing I enjoy is having the opportunity to share my love of football with others,” Mitchell said.

Second year sponsor, Mr. Yeckel is also very fond of the program and the overall energy of the players and fans.

“The excitement whenever someone scores a touchdown is unmatched in almost any other competition,” Mr. Yeckel stated.

Despite facing many challenges following the pandemic, the program is now up and running at full capacity. The game has been a Shaler tradition for years. In fact, Mr. Mitchell’s wife, who graduated from Shaler 20 years ago, played in the game, and it had been in place even before that.

This year the teams consist of 24 juniors and 35 seniors, which Mr. Mitchell expected considering the fact that seniors tend to have more players since it is their last year to participate in the program. However, he said that there have been years where both teams had reached the 40 player maximum.

The game will be held on Tuesday, November 22, 2022 at Biles Field. There will be a $5 donation at the gate to support the foundation. A bake sale and 50/50 will also be promoted to benefit the junior and senior class funds.

When asked to share their predictions for the outcome of this years’ game, Mr. Mitchell expressed that the seniors have a good chance of winning this year.

“The seniors are experienced and motivated to go out as winners in their final year,” Mr. Mitchell said.

Despite this, there is also support in favor of the class of 2024 underdogs taking home the win.

“The juniors have won in the past. I believe that if the juniors play a mistake free game they could pull the upset this year. Sometimes the most dangerous team is the team that has nothing to lose!” Mr. Mitchell added.

At the end of the day, this unique competition allows students to come together to support their peers and showcase their school spirit while raising money for a worthy cause.

“The program provides an opportunity for the players to show others what the game is all about,” Mr. Mitchell said.