SAHS students take part in research by Princeton University

Hannah Stelitano

Four Shaler Area High School senior performing arts students were interviewed by Princeton University as part research for a book on Disney musicals. 

Dr. Stacy Wolf, America’s foremost musical theater scholar, and research assistant Elliot Lee are in the works of writing the book “The Oxford Guide of the Disney Musical”. Both Wolf and Lee identified Shaler Aea’s musical program as one they would like to include in their research. 

Last year, SAHS put on an extremely successful production of “Newsies”. Since this is a Disney musical, Wolf and Lee knew that they wanted to include quotes from students in this production into their research. 

Alex Eastly (Jack), Lauren Lorenz, (Katherine), Hannah Stelitano (featured dancer/ dance apprentice), and Josh Fedorek (stage crew/ set design) were all chosen for this opportunity and took part in the interview process. 

“Being a part of this experience was incredible and it is neat knowing that my school was recognized on this level. I am excited that I was able to represent my performing arts program in this way,” Lorenz said. 

Throughout the interview, which was led by Lee, these students were asked basic questions in regards to their experience of the show, what they contributed to the show, and how participating in a Disney show has impacted them. 

This is such an honor and exciting opportunity for our program,” Mrs. Jennifer Birch, SAHS musical director, said. 

Wolf’s book is going to feature a section about amateur Disney performances from across the country and these four SAHS students will be quoted in this research.