Virtual learning may have put an end to “snow” days

Addison Kania

Are snow days going away for good? Shaler Area High School Superintendent, Mr. Sean Aiken, thinks so.

“We will probably never have a traditional snow day again unless there is some unforeseen circumstance,” Mr. Aiken said.

The positives? No more days will be taken off spring break! Virtual learning will occur in place of the typical day off that comes with a snow day.

“Now it’s going to be a pretty clear-cut decision. If it’s unsafe, we will just go virtual that day,” Mr. Aiken said.

This makes it easier on the school district personnel as well who, on a typical snow day, are up every hour checking what the weather is looking like and on phone calls with other districts as well as bus companies.

We will still do the two-hour delays when it is necessary, but at the same time if we have to call a cancellation it will make it a little bit easier to call because we know that we are equipped to do virtual learning.

— Mr. Sean Aiken

Some students like junior Rebecca Schiavone think that having a virtual learning day in place of a snow day is a good idea. Like a lot of students, she does not like how snow days have to be made up either during spring break or at the end of the school year.

“Especially now that we have done the whole remote learning thing, teachers know how to teach virtually better than they would have if we had not gone through all of this so I feel we would get a lot more out of it,” Schiavone said.

On the other hand, some students are going to miss the idea of having a traditional snow day.

“They were always so much fun just to be a kid again and go out and have fun. There’s too much technology today where you don’t always get to enjoy that,” senior Michaela Scott said.

Snow days are a reminder of many people’s childhoods. Waking up to the news reporting the schools that have been closed for the day may not be the reality anymore. Instead, students will have to wake up and get ready for a day of virtual learning. Students will just have to be prepared with their iPads and any other school supplies that they need.

“I seriously doubt that we call a school cancellation now. It will just be a virtual learning day,” Mr. Aiken said.

With no more snow days called, the way two hour delays will still be utilized as they have in past.

“We will still do the two-hour delays when it is necessary, but at the same time if we have to call a cancellation it will make it a little bit easier to call because we know that we are equipped to do virtual learning,” Mr. Aiken said.