Class of 21 gets some normalcy at the end of an abnormal year

Despite it being one of the most chaotic, unpredictable, and tumultuous years, end-of-year events at Shaler Area High School are coming together.

Last year, efforts to save things such as prom, senior dinner, and graduation were ultimately unsuccessful. Although there were things that served as alternatives, such as the drive-through graduation, those events are able to be more traditional this year, with some smaller changes.

This week began Senior Finals, and as seniors earn those last few grades, some were granted awards recognizing their academic achievements for having a 3.75 or higher GPA, as well earning scholarships.

“[Senior Awards] is a great night to celebrate academics because we don’t always do that around here,” Activities Director Mrs. Mindy Thiel said.

Kicking off Memorial Day weekend, is Prom. This year though, changes to the normal prom setting include things such as only senior attendees, only Shaler Area seniors, as well as no dancing being permitted. Even though these are things that would normally define Prom, that did not stop students from wanting to experience the event, as 150 out of 285 seniors will be attending.

Another thing that differs this year from past years, is that there will be no senior dinner. Instead, customary parts of senior dinner, like the hypnotist, will be incorporated into activities at Prom.

In January I was really nervous about what this time of year would look like because I did not know if we could have a Prom, a graduation, just normal end of year things, but now we can get them together. It’s been a really positive ending.

— Mrs. Mindy Thiel

Despite some changes to a normal Prom evening, there will still be plenty to do including having art done by a caricature artist, visiting the balloon artist for a balloon animal or figure, predicting your future with the fortune teller, getting an airbrush tattoo, taking pictures with friends or a date in the photo booth, or playing a trivia game.

To wrap up their final week at Shaler Area High School, the senior class will be participating in a spirit week. The themes are still undecided, but it is meant to show school spirit and pride as the students will soon part ways and leave their alma mater behind.

Finally, there will be a graduation ceremony. Fortunately, the Class of 2021 will be able to have an almost-normal graduation. With a majority of students voting for an in-person ceremony with friends and family visitors, they will be able to walk the track and receive their diploma, having their name called as they find their seat on the field.

The difference this year, besides the event being socially distanced, is that the students will now face the end zone instead of the home-side of the stadium, which allows for more audience members to attend. Due to the new setup, SATV has to buy different cameras and equipment, and although it is somewhat of an experiment, if it is successful, it could potentially be used for upcoming years as well.

As seniors return their books and part ways from their friends, teachers and classrooms, Mrs. Thiel is happy to have been able to see the light at the end of this very long tunnel.

“It has been such a positive ending knowing restrictions are being lifted. In January I was really nervous about what this time of year would look like because I did not know if we could have a Prom, a graduation, just normal end of year things, but now we can get them together. It’s been a really positive ending,” she said.