Shaler Hosts Blood Drive November 18th

Shaler Hosts Blood Drive November 18th

Shaler Area High School will partner with nonprofit group Vitalant for the biannual blood drive on November 18 from 7:30 a.m. -1:30 p.m. Students aged 16 and up will be given the opportunity to save up to three lives with their donation. Anyone who is under 17 will need to fill out a permission form. All donors will be required to bring some form of identification such as student ID cards or drivers permits or licenses.

During the pandemic, participation in the blood drive dropped, but as students began returning for in-person school the drives provided better results. With the first drive of the 2022-2023 school year, the district is hoping for plentiful donations. Although it is critical for the district to keep the drive as accessible to students as possible, many students are hesitant to sign up due to stress surrounding the process of giving blood. 

“I wish students would realize that donating blood is an easy process.  The minimal discomfort that lasts half a second is nothing compared to the people that are sick and need your blood in order to survive.”

— Ms. Marci Jackley

“I wish students would realize that donating blood is an easy process.  The minimal discomfort that lasts half a second is nothing compared to the people that are sick and need your blood in order to survive,” Physical Education teacher Ms. Marci Jackley stated. 

It may seem unusual and anxiety-inducing to enter a space that we normally use for physical education to get our blood drawn. Though it is unusual, the gym isn’t always what holds people back; its fear. Whether it be needles, passing out, or any reaction, many students find themselves nervous regarding the process. 

“It’s not as scary as they think. This age group needs to step out of their comfort zone just a bit,” Vitalant representative Cyndi Funk stated. 

Funk also spoke in a presentation of the inherent responsibility that comes with younger generations as older donors become less and less likely to be eligible to donate blood due to health complications. While there are also drives outside of schools, such as places of worship, they see less donations due to the fact that not as many people are always healthy donors. Although only 38% of people are eligible to give blood, a much greater percentage of people within the younger generation are eligible. 

With that being said, as many students as possible are being encouraged to register for the drive. Students donating are being advised to make sure to eat and drink well before donating to keep the process as easy as possible. When considering in-person participation, the hope is to see an increase in donations.  

“The last few years have been, understandably, because of COVID, lower in sign ups. I hope this is the year we rebound in the sign up department,” Jackley said.